Friday, September 5, 2008

GSoC summary and thanks

Now that Summer of Code ended, I'd like to summarize what has been done around qtmux and some random thoughts around it.

Firstly, I'd like to thank the guys from GStreamer for letting me participate with them, specially to Win (my mentor) and Christian(AFAIK, the org leader for GSoC). Also to those that answered my daily questions at IRC (mainly Mike, David and Tim). This was a great experience, learned lots of stuff about muxing, GStreamer and quicktime/mp4 file formats. Thanks also to the guys from pitivi for reporting problems and their effort for already adding qtmux to it.

It feels great to see the community actively using, testing, reporting bugs and requesting features at this early stage of qtmux, this is really motivating! Also, it will be moving soon to GStreamer repos. That means more developers working on it, consequently better quality code and more supported formats.

Looking at the application proposal, most of the formats promised are already working, but qtmux still lacks the flavor selection. That's why the next step is adding isomedia ('isom') output format, some work is already commited, but it is still at an early experimental state.

Lastly, another thanks to you all (GStreamer and Google), I really enjoyed participating and I hope that qtmux is already usable and meeting the expectations.

No comments: