Friday, August 22, 2008

Update on qtmux

I've been through the semester final exams the last weeks (my university timeline is all messed up) and time was short, so I couldn't update here with news on qtmux, but the semester in now finally over, so here are the new features:
  • raw formats (both audio and video) and mp3 are working correctly in all players I tested (totem, vlc, mplayer and quicktime)
  • support for h263 has been added and also works on the players above
  • support for aac and amr has been added and it still doesn't work at quicktime, but works in totem and mplayer (vlc went nuts on my machine, and I still haven't got it to work again)
  • ilst atom metadata support (used by itunes and qtdemux) has been added
I couldn't get aac and amr working, after some days searching for specs and testing applications that could generate qt files with amr or aac with no success, I noticed too much time was being lost and started working on other features.
None of the applications I tested could generate a qt file (with amr or aac) that quicktime would actually play, and I couldn't find any useful spec. I also tried inspecting bytes in some files that played successfully, but just looking at them wasn't enough, the different bytes are easy to find, but not easy to understand.

I said that I would add flavor selection in the previous post, but I was advised to work on some widely used formats first, so I did it.

GSoC is comming to an end in the next days, but work won't, qtmux has still a lot to be worked on and I'll keep it up.

No comments: